We've given several warnings on Everest due climate change, thorny politics and so on, but here's another warning that has caught us by surprise. Climbers beware!
COPY FROM HIMALAYAN TIMES
FRIDAY 24TH APRIL 2015
Tour operator cons Everest climbers
Nine foreign climbers planning a Mount Everest ascent have been conned out of US$100,000 by a Nepalese tour operator who absconded with the money. Local police have launched a manhunt for Tshering Dorje Sherpa of Himalayan Alpine Adventure Treks after he took possession of the money ahead of the expedition. Nikolas Mangitsis, team leader of the Greek expedition, Hellas Everest Expedition 2015, told The Himalayan Times eight Greek nationals and one Indian climber paid the Sherpa in cash for a 50-day climb which was due to begin on April 17. The climbers were scheduled to depart for base camp in Tibet last week by land route to scale the 8,848-metre peak's North Ridge. "The nine climbers and their five Nepali support staff waited for him but Sherpa did not show up. He just vanished with their money and Chinese visas," said Nabin Trital, the managing director of another trekking agency who was helping the Sherpa secure climbing permits for the group. "This is the first such case in the history of mountaineering expeditions in Nepal," said Ang Tshering Sherpa, president of the Nepal Mountaineering Association.